Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Friends: Reincarnated

I have been on God's green earth long enough to have witnessed a few patterns in life (which I'm very thankful for!).  One thing that amuses me very much is when I meet someone who is juuuuust like someone else I've already had the (sometimes dis-)pleasure to know. 

In my work, this comes in very handy, especially in dealing with the more difficult personalities.  It is very efficient to identify the pattern of person X and remember how I dealt with person Y, apply what worked, avoid what didn't, and get through the project with as few stress-driven pimples as possible.

Sometimes though, this recycling of personalities is a good thing!  Where I might not have had the opportunity to really enjoy a relationship in my youth (for many reasons, including me being a punk little kid, too insecure, off in another part of the state, etc.), it is so nice to get a second chance. 

To expand on the insecurities of a typical teenaged girl a bit... I used to know a girl, let's call her Annie Smirkband.  In my 13 year old eyes, Annie had it ALL.  Not just cool clothes, but also: the best hair & personality, a gorgeous home, a loving family, great taste in music, a sense of fun & adventure, and probably much more.  I wanted to be her in the worst way.  We were friends for a time, but I was so intimidated by her I questioned my own self-worth enough to annoy her out of wanting to hang out with me.  In truth, I questioned my self-worth so much I let myself be intimidated by her.  How I managed to keep any friends, I still don't get (thanks for sticking it out, Hol! ;-).  Anyhoodles, eventually I got to a place where I wasn't awful to be around, but invites to hang out and do things were put on hold for a few years, and extremely limited after that.

Fast forward to about 2010.  God put a recycled friend into my life.  She is so.very.much.like Annie.  I immediately got the same feelings of inadequacy.  But this time, a lot of experience helped me to squash them before I let them really bubble to the surface.  Something to be said about being a grown woman who knows her worth (and got there a not-so-easy way).  This time, I enjoy her company.  I love joining her on adventures.  Our children are friends.  I contribute to her and enrich her life too.  It's exactly how it should be--this recycled friendship.  Recently, we were at an event where maybe a bit of liquid courage was consumed and I blurted out to her, "You are my Annie Smirkband, but so much better!"  She was all, "Huh?  WHAT are you talking about?"  I just smiled and hugged her and told her I loved her.  And then told myself I loved me too.

Maybe recycled friends in our lives are do-overs from God?  A chance to play it out a better way.  So glad I get to do the Annie friendship over, even if it's with another person.  The lesson realized, learned and implemented feels even sweeter the second time.

1 comment:

  1. I still feel that way about Annie Smirkband. Beautiful inside and out, that one is. And so are you. It's been my pleasure sticking it out with you, thank you for having me.

    ReplyDelete