I love to move. Exercising is fun for me, a challenge, and often a necessary release from the stress of my day. My favorite type of exercise is outdoors, where I'm moving a lot, and have a change in either the type of exercise I do (like high intensity intervals), or the scenery (a bike ride or a hike). The slower stuff tends to bore me. When I first tried yoga (via a VHS tape I got as a Christmas present), I did it a couple times and let it go the way of VHS technology. I tried it again in a class setting thanks to an auction purchase about 5 years later. The group setting was better, but I wasn't hooked. I then joined a gym that gave regular Vinyasa flow classes, and started going to those on occasion a few years after that. Vinyasa flow is faster than your traditional yoga, and adds that cardio element I love, sans impact, and still gives you the burn! It was made just for me, I'm pretty sure. An angel came into my life and gave me someone to sweat alongside in downward dog. She also gave me an invitational nudge toward different classes in different studios--and I broke the barrier into hot yoga. Whooboy--all that movement, muscle engagement AND in a 90-some degree room? I experienced puddles of love!
I know how to make great friends, because this gal was a entry to this whole, entire community of yogis. Many of them, I already knew as parents from my sons' school, members of our swim club, or wives of coworkers. But when you are grunting out a pigeon or full wheel for what seems like eternity, you REALLY get to know them. And after, there is a sense of elation. Every single time. I prioritize and go to the classes that I can, when adjusting for other commitments. There is one instructor I have a full girl crush on (along with all her other students!). She is not only totally awesome at leading a class, but she adjusts real time to cater to what her class needs, and she is REAL human to boot--eats candy for breakfast on occasion, and whatnot. I move molehills to get to her classes.
There are retreats too! A whole weekend of sore muscles, camaraderie, calm, and wine.
This was from a retreat a group of us gals purchased through our kids' school auction in the fall of 2012. Nothing like posing right in front of an ocean view on a sunny fall day. I'm in the front row on the right--you can jussst about make out my left arm. Love my Triple W (Whidbey Women's Weekend)!!
So I guess the point of this is that in my *ahem* middle age, I've discovered a new speed. Yoga is a slow-motion button to my fast forward. I can be in the moment, and be calm mentally, yet very active physically. All in the space of a 6'x2' mat. I can be that sentimental person that does not have permission to enter into the bulk of my day, which is at work. I can be the girlfriend that leans on another, or is there to be leaned on. I'm vulnerable and strong all at the same time. And the clothes (not to mention the poses) make my behind look mighty fine! It feels so fulfilling to find this middle speed. So glad to have some classes lined up for the spring/summer! I always look forward to the hard work and the sense of balance & achievement after. So bring on more yoga(hhhhh)!

No comments:
Post a Comment